Subject: Re: bug#27158: 25.2; Eliminating old usage of completing-read from built-in files

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 16:58:33 +0200

Ryan <[email-masked]> writes:

> completing-read-default still supports a behavior that is, as far as I
> know, a legacy feature that is kept only for backward compatibility with
> code that was written before the default argument was added: if the
> input is empty and the user presses RET, it will return the empty
> string, even if require-match is non-nil and the empty string is not in
> the collection.

[...]

> While this behavior can
> probably not be changed without breaking backward compatibility, we can
> at least eliminate every use of the feature in the elisp files included
> with Emacs. The patch below does exactly that for all the cases that I
> am aware of.

[...]

> -    (completing-read "Keyword, C-h: " v1 nil t))
> +    (completing-read "Keyword, C-h: " v1 nil t nil nil ""))

If we're not going to change the behaviour, I don't really see any
advantage to changing the in-tree callers, so I'm closing this bug
report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no