Subject: bug#27157: [PATCH] Re: bug#27157: Building Guile 2.2 "times out"

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2017 15:26:26 +0200

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>>> At any rate, it would be good to remove ‘max-silent-time’ from all the
>>>> ‘%default-options’ variables, for consistency.
>>>>
>>>> Ludo’.
>>>
>>> I agree! In my view, interactive user commands should expect the users
>>> to take action themselves (e.g.; user notice no output for 3 hours; hits
>>> C-c. Or, user notice no output for 3 hours, check the process in top,
>>> sees it's still doing something, decides to leave it running a couple
>>> more hours).
>>
>> Yes.  Would you like to prepare a patch to remove ‘max-silent-time’ from
>> all the ‘%default-options’?
>
> I gave this a quick try, but got confused upon encountering the
> guix-offload script; it has a max-silent-time option, but doesn't build
> anything, it simply copies stuff IIUC.
>
> Should we remove it there as well?

No: ‘guix offload’ gets max-silent-time systematically from its
command-line arguments (it is invoked by guix-daemon).  So this one can
remain as-is.

Ludo’.