Subject: Re: [PATCH] Re: bug#27157: Building Guile 2.2 "times out"

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2017 16:09:18 -0700

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

[...]

>>> At any rate, it would be good to remove ‘max-silent-time’ from all the
>>> ‘%default-options’ variables, for consistency.
>>>
>>> Ludo’.
>>
>> I agree! In my view, interactive user commands should expect the users
>> to take action themselves (e.g.; user notice no output for 3 hours; hits
>> C-c. Or, user notice no output for 3 hours, check the process in top,
>> sees it's still doing something, decides to leave it running a couple
>> more hours).
>
> Yes.  Would you like to prepare a patch to remove ‘max-silent-time’ from
> all the ‘%default-options’?

I gave this a quick try, but got confused upon encountering the
guix-offload script; it has a max-silent-time option, but doesn't build
anything, it simply copies stuff IIUC.

Should we remove it there as well?

Maxim