Subject: bug#27131: 25.2; Fedora 25 and vxsrv or cygwin x menus off screen

From: [email-masked] (Bryan M. Kramer)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 11:29:04 -0400

Could be gtk problem. When running emacs on Fedora 25 with either cygwin
X or vcxsrv as the x-server running on Windows 10 or Windows 7, menus appear off screen. There are numerous
GTK messages in the console:

   (emacs:2521): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_preferred_height_for_width: assertion 'width >= 0' failed

   (emacs:2521): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_preferred_height_for_width: assertion 'width >= 0' failed

Note this doesn't happen when running on the Fedora 25 machine itself.

Also, raise-frame and make-frame-visible do not work.

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.12)
 of 2017-05-02 built on buildvm-10.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'HC-Consult', version 11.0.11902000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Entering debugger...
Back to top level
#<frame [email-masked] 0x11f8c30>
funcall-interactively: Attempt to delete the sole visible or iconified frame
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.  
mwheel-scroll: End of buffer
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.

Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna dired format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns
apropos help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib debug time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 93105 9478)
 (symbols 48 20003 0)
 (miscs 40 128 297)
 (strings 32 15390 5473)
 (string-bytes 1 437314)
 (vectors 16 12156)
 (vector-slots 8 446416 7327)
 (floats 8 176 223)
 (intervals 56 387 19)
 (buffers 976 23))