Subject: Re: bug#27069: LUKS partition ruined by guix init

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 17:22:35 +0200

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:

> Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> [email-masked] writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have several times over tried to install to a LUKS-partition with
>>> btrfs and failed but last time I almost had success. guix init command
>>> complained that the bios_grub flag wasn't set after many hours of
>>> compiling packages and therefore didn't install grub at first. I
>>> checked the partition with "cryptsetup luksUUID /dev/sda1" before
>>> rerunning guix init and it gives me the luksUUID so the partition
>>> seemed intact up to that point. However, after setting the bios_grub
>>> flag and rerunning guix init, the installation is successful but
>>> afterwards the cryptsetup luksUUID command says that the partition is
>>> not a valid luks device, so it seems like the GRUB installation part
>>> is what ruins the partition.
>>
>> What is your partition layout? The "bios_grub" partition must be a
>> separate (typically tiny) partition with no other data on it.
>
> FWIW, my current development system is GuixSD running with a
> LUKS-encrypted Btrfs root partition with GUID partition table.
> I don't remember encountering any difficulties during the install.

Interesting. Did you reserve some sectors before the first partition? Or
do you have the root partition marked as "bios_grub", which is what
seemingly wiped the LUKS headers here?