Subject: bug#27069: closed (Re: bug#27069: LUKS partition ruined by guix init)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 15:23:02 +0000

Your bug report

#27069: LUKS partition ruined by guix init

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27069: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27069
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#27069: LUKS partition ruined by guix init
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 17:22:35 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:

> Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> [email-masked] writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have several times over tried to install to a LUKS-partition with
>>> btrfs and failed but last time I almost had success. guix init command
>>> complained that the bios_grub flag wasn't set after many hours of
>>> compiling packages and therefore didn't install grub at first. I
>>> checked the partition with "cryptsetup luksUUID /dev/sda1" before
>>> rerunning guix init and it gives me the luksUUID so the partition
>>> seemed intact up to that point. However, after setting the bios_grub
>>> flag and rerunning guix init, the installation is successful but
>>> afterwards the cryptsetup luksUUID command says that the partition is
>>> not a valid luks device, so it seems like the GRUB installation part
>>> is what ruins the partition.
>>
>> What is your partition layout? The "bios_grub" partition must be a
>> separate (typically tiny) partition with no other data on it.
>
> FWIW, my current development system is GuixSD running with a
> LUKS-encrypted Btrfs root partition with GUID partition table.
> I don't remember encountering any difficulties during the install.

Interesting. Did you reserve some sectors before the first partition? Or
do you have the root partition marked as "bios_grub", which is what
seemingly wiped the LUKS headers here?

Subject: LUKS partition ruined by guix init
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 17:53:42 +0200 (CEST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I have several times over tried to install to a LUKS-partition with
btrfs and failed but last time I almost had success. guix init command
complained that the bios_grub flag wasn't set after many hours of
compiling packages and therefore didn't install grub at first. I
checked the partition with "cryptsetup luksUUID /dev/sda1" before
rerunning guix init and it gives me the luksUUID so the partition
seemed intact up to that point. However, after setting the bios_grub
flag and rerunning guix init, the installation is successful but
afterwards the cryptsetup luksUUID command says that the partition is
not a valid luks device, so it seems like the GRUB installation part
is what ruins the partition.