Subject: bug#27067: Feature request: please allow for either automatic logging of all output of every guix commands or add an option to each guix command to allow it for all to be logged

From: Brenton Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 04:25:18 +1000

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of Guile or Scheme. Looking at the Guile
manual seems to indicate to me it's a language quite unlike most languages
I've coded in. The only exception is that it does look a little like Emacs
Lisp.

On 26 May 2017 at 04:10, Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Brenton Horne writes:
>
> > Thanks. I did ask in the #guix IRC channel first and no one provided this
> > solution (not using this as some criticism, I realize the IRC channel is
> > people volunteering their time to help others, just mentioning) and one
> > person agreed with my suggestion of reporting this as a feature request.
> > Still this feature would be useful, but your idea makes it less urgent.
> > Automatic logging still sounds like a good idea as Guix is quite slow for
> > some operations at the moment (not dissing the developers of Guix, after
> > all at this early stage of development issues like this are to be
> > expected), for me at least running GuixSD in a QEMU VM with 8 GB RAM and
> 3
> > CPU cores (3.3 GHz i7 cores), so it might save users interested in filing
> > bug reports a lot of time (on re-running the problem command with `| tee
> > output.log` after it) if the output was logged automatically. Saving
> users
> > time will probably mean users will be far more motivated and able to
> > provide bug reports on issues they experience, which is good for the
> entire
> > Guix community as bugs would get reported and resolved faster.
>
> You could work on this issue, and submit a patch. I'm sure that would be
> welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Arun Isaac.
>

-- 
Thanks for your time,
Brenton