Subject: bug#27066: 25.1; dired unsafe variables

From: Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 17:54:50 +0200

>> Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 13:57:12 +0200
>> From: Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> Recipe:
>> 
>> $ wget http://fly.isti.cnr.it/tmp/leela.tar	# 48 MB
>> $ tar -xf leela.tar
>> $ emacs -nw -Q opt/leela
>> 
>> I am prompted to accept reading the directory because it contains unsafe
>> variables
>
>I'm not sure why this is deemed a bug: you have a .dir-locals.el file
>in that directory, which specifies directory-local variables.  What
>exactly is the problem with the prompt?

I have not created that file myself (downloaded the source code from
Github), and before reading your answer I did not know about the
existence of .dir-locals.el files which get loaded automatically.  I
can't find the "dir-local" string anywhere either in the Emacs or Elisp
manuals.  Moreover the warning message does not mention .dir-locals.el
anywhere. 

So first, there is a documentation problem about the .dir-locals.el
files.

Second, probably dired should prompt *before* ever loading that file and
parse it only if the user agrees.  Am I too conservative?  Anyway, that
is something that is unespected, and should be treated differently, in
my opinion.