Subject: Re: bug#2706: 23.0.91; error "Buffer exceeds maximum size"

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 09:39:29 +0800

Glenn Morris wrote:
>>   195500 03-17 09:01 templates-lese-fehler.txt
>>     3972 03-16 13:57 templates-keine-funktionale-aenderung.txt
>>     
>
> What units are these file sizes in? Is it possible that the size of
> the resulting diff is simply too large for Emacs?
>   

I have a copy of the files. The sizes are in bytes, there are 21 diffs. 
At first I couldn't reproduce the problem (I was using ediff-buffers), 
but then I tried just ediff and saw the problem the first time I tried 
it. But when I tried again running under the lisp debugger, I could not 
reprod it suce the problem, and I have not managed to reproduce it 
since. There must have been some preconditions that the session in which 
I reproduced the problem met, but subsequent sessions do not.

One unusual thing about the files is that the first lines specify 
compilation-mode and default directory. At first I could not run diff 
because the specified directory does not exist on my system, but after 
changing the default directory to a directory that exists (I tried the 
directory that the files are in and other directories) ediff works 
except in that one case.