Subject: Re: bug#27049: Acknowledgement ([PATCH] gnu: Add mathjax.)

From: Brendan Tildesley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 23:16:34 +1000

Arun Isaac 於 2017-05-24 20:09 寫道:
>
>> +         (let ((install-dir (string-append %output "/share/webapps/mathjax"))
> I don't know if this is the correct path to install mathjax to. Do we
> have any conventions/standards for this? Should I just put it in
> /share/mathjax ?
>
>
>
I was wondering about this myself. Debian uses
/usr/share/javascript/mathjax, so I think we should use
/share/javascript/mathjax. a webapps directory implies that we intend to
categories "webapp" versus "non-webapp" packages, a functional
distinction that seems unimportant to the system as a whole. Debian has
a policy of naming JS packages like libjs-mathjax. On the other hand
Arch just calls it mathjax. Perhaps these things start to become an
issue once we have 20k+ packages, so I'm not sure there.

Once this is finalised, I can unbundle mathjax from Calibre, but then
the Calibre package will break if mathjax's path changes later on, so we
should sort this out now. Perhaps a way to solve it is to consider
future Javascript packages, and figure out what the most elegant way to
file them would be. I believe there are on the order of 100,000 JS
libraries out there in the wild, so I imagine we'll only be getting more
and more of them in due time. Perhaps a new gnu/packages/javascript.scm
file is ideal? After all, Mathjax is not just code for web browsers, but
is also used for MathML support in programs like Calibre's ebook-viewer.
Please take the time to think it through and set the convention for
future Javascript packages.