Subject: Tramp not working with Solaris hosts

From: Thomas Carroll <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 21:15:50 +0000 (UTC)

From: Tom Carroll <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject:
--text follows this line--

Very long time user of Tramp; depend on it heavily.  Thanks for awesome
software!

Tramp is not working any longer with Solaris hosts it worked with previously.  
It seems to be fine with Linux hosts.

Started with emacs -Q

Recipe:
C-x C-f
/ssh:sybase@lee:

At this point I enter my password; despite entering it correctly, it
prompts a second time for the password.  I provide it again, and then
the connection fails with the message you'll see below.  The transcript
from my messages buffer:

Tramp: Opening connection for sybase@lee using ssh...
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh -l sybase  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o ControlPersist=no -e none lee’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...
Tramp: Sending Password
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘lee’
Tramp: Opening connection for sybase@lee using ssh...failed
Tramp: Opening connection for sybase@lee using ssh...
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh -l sybase  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o ControlPersist=no -e none lee’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...
Tramp: Sending Password
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘lee’
Tramp: Opening connection for sybase@lee using ssh...failed
tramp-file-name-handler: ‘tramp-histfile-override’ uses invalid file ‘~/.tramp_history’

Thanks for any help!

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-05-10 built on cloud108
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
System Description:    openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pop --without-hesiod --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5
 --with-xim --with-wide-int --with-file-notification=inotify
 --with-modules --enable-autodepend --prefix=/usr
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share
 --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif
 --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-xft --without-gpm
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-libotf
 --with-m17n-flt --build=x86_64-suse-linux 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0
 -grecord-gcc-switches -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
 -g -D_GNU_SOURCE -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS
 -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign
 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label -Wno-unprototyped-calls
 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -fno-PIE -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000
 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 ' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: us_EN
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Buffer Menu

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘lee’
Tramp: Opening connection for sybase@lee using ssh...failed
tramp-file-name-handler: ‘tramp-histfile-override’ uses invalid file ‘~/.tramp_history’
Commands: d, s, x, u; f, o, 1, 2, m, v; ~, %; q to quit; ? for help.
Mark set [3 times]
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [9 times]
Commands: d, s, x, u; f, o, 1, 2, m, v; ~, %; q to quit; ? for help.
You can run the command ‘buffer-menu’ with M-x b-me RET
Commands: d, s, x, u; f, o, 1, 2, m, v; ~, %; q to quit; ? for help.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
tramp-cmds tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cl-macs
gv gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice time-date
mule-util delsel lpr tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 217480 9547)
 (symbols 48 22495 0)
 (miscs 40 80 137)
 (strings 32 23848 6966)
 (string-bytes 1 768076)
 (vectors 16 37901)
 (vector-slots 8 711264 4616)
 (floats 8 222 357)
 (intervals 56 348 188)
 (buffers 976 19))