Subject: bug#27047: 26.0.50; Scroll bar menu UI glitches [patch]

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 08:15:11 +0200

> The Options->Show/Hide->Scroll-bar menu functions correctly -- when you
 > press any of the five radio buttons, the result is what it should be --
 > but the UI is broken.  With -Q the vertical scroll bar is on the right,
 > there is no horizontal scroll bar and the menu shows the radio button
 > "None-horizontal" [sic] pressed.  If you press any of the other buttons
 > in that menu, the scroll bars change accordingly, but the menu continues
 > to show the same "None-horizontal" button pressed.  The attached patch
 > fixes this UI glitch.

Thanks.

 > In addition, I find the current scroll bar menu
 > somewhat incoherent and the patch offers an improvement (IMO): the radio
 > buttons are confined to the vertical scroll bar, and the two buttons for
 > the horizontal scroll bar are replaced by a single check box toggle, and
 > a separator is added to visually emphasize that two UI components are
 > involved.

I once planned to implement horizontal scroll bars on the top of a frame
too but lack of knowledge of the internals of the display engine impeded
me to do so properly (I failed to detect all uses of "0" indicating the
start of the text area, so display usually got mangled).  Also, I
doubted that anyone would ever need scoll bars on top, so I eventually
gave up on that idea.  The "None-horizontal" entry was the last remnant
of that failed attempt.

 > While I was looking at the Show/Hide menu, I noticed that the spelling
 > there is not consistent with the convention of the Emacs manual, which
 > uses "scroll bar", "tool bar" and "menu bar" without hyphenation.  So
 > the patch changes the spelling of these in the menu and tooltips too.

Fine.  Please install.

martin