Subject: bug#27059: closed (Re: bug#27041: MacOS 10.6: fix NS build)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 19:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#27041: Can't compile master branch on Mac OS X

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27041: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27041
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#27041: MacOS 10.6: fix NS build
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles A. Roelli" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 20:03:34 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 08:13:21PM +0200, Charles A. Roelli wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
> 
> I changed the conditional to this:
> 
> 
> #if defined(NS_IMPL_GNUSTEP) || MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED <
> MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_7
> typedef id instancetype;
> typedef NSUInteger NSWindowStyleMask;
> #endif
> 
> 
> And it compiles fine without my previous changes.  Can you verify that this
> still builds with GNUstep?  If not, we can leave the 'int' instead of the
> 'NSUInteger'.

It works fine on GNUstep too, so I’ve pushed the change.

FWIW, that instancetype type appears to be a built‐in and we should
probably be doing some sort of check whether the compiler supports it
natively or not. I don’t know how to go about doing that.

> > > I also see this warning when compiling macfont.m:
> > > 
> > > macfont.m: In function ‘mac_font_shape_1’:
> > > macfont.m:416: warning: ‘NSLayoutManager’ may not respond to
> > > ‘-getGlyphsInRange:glyphs:properties:characterIndexes:bidiLevels:’
> > > macfont.m:416: warning: (Messages without a matching method signature
> > > macfont.m:416: warning: will be assumed to return ‘id’ and accept
> > > macfont.m:416: warning: ‘...’ as arguments.)
> > > 
> > > (some new arguments were added in the recent changes).  But this doesn't
> > > seem to affect functionality so I've left that change as is.

This warning doesn’t make much sense to me. I’ve looked up the
documentation and the new method being used has allegedly been
available since macOS 10.5.

https://developer.apple.com/reference/appkit/nslayoutmanager/1403104-getglyphsinrange

I guess if it’s working we can just ignore it.

-- 
Alan Third

Subject: Can't compile master branch on Mac OS X
From: David Caldwell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 09:22:32 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion):

  CC       nsterm.o
nsterm.m:5496:33: warning: format string is not a string literal
(potentially insecure) [-Wformat-security]
  return NSRunAlertPanel(title, msgFormat, defaultButton,
alternateButton, nil)
                                ^~~~~~~~~
1 warning generated.
  CC       nsfns.o
  CC       nsmenu.o
nsmenu.m:1496:70: error: expected a type
- (instancetype)initWithContentRect: (NSRect)contentRect styleMask:
(NSWindowStyleMask)aStyle
                                                                     ^
nsmenu.m:1520:10: warning: incompatible integer to pointer conversion
assigning to 'id' from 'int' [-Wint-conversion]
  aStyle =
NSWindowStyleMaskTitled|NSWindowStyleMaskClosable|NSWindowStyleMaskUtilityWindow;
         ^
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nsmenu.m:1524:54: warning: incompatible pointer to integer conversion
sending 'id' to parameter of type 'NSUInteger' (aka 'unsigned long')
[-Wint-conversion]
  [super initWithContentRect: contentRect styleMask: aStyle
                                                     ^~~~~~
/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/NSWindow.h:289:69:
note: passing argument to parameter 'aStyle' here
- (id)initWithContentRect:(NSRect)contentRect
styleMask:(NSUInteger)aStyle backing:(NSBackingStoreType)bufferingType
defer:(BOOL)flag;
                                                                    ^
nsmenu.m:1496:88: warning: conflicting parameter types in implementation
of 'initWithContentRect:styleMask:backing:defer:': 'NSUInteger' (aka
'unsigned long') vs 'id' [-Wmismatched-parameter-types]
- (instancetype)initWithContentRect: (NSRect)contentRect styleMask:
(NSWindowStyleMask)aStyle

              ^
/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/NSWindow.h:289:69:
note: previous definition is here
- (id)initWithContentRect:(NSRect)contentRect
styleMask:(NSUInteger)aStyle backing:(NSBackingStoreType)bufferingType
defer:(BOOL)flag;
                                                         ~~~~~~~~~~ ^
3 warnings and 1 error generated.
make[1]: *** [nsmenu.o] Error 1
make: *** [src] Error 2
make failed

On Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard):
  CC       nsterm.o
In file included from nsterm.m:48:
nsterm.h:454: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:455: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:456: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:460: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:463: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:523: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:557: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:592: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:611: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:659: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:661: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:663: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:664: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:703: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:706: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:710: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:711: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:712: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.h:735: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.m:6900: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.m:7630: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.m:7655: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.m:7681: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.m:7909: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.m:8261: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.m:8345: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.m:8353: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.m:8408: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
nsterm.m:8487: error: expected ')' before 'instancetype'
make[1]: *** [nsterm.o] Error 1
make: *** [src] Error 2
make failed

I think these may have been caused by the recent GNUStep changes.

-David