Subject: bug#27039: (tests guix-download) fails when DNS is bogus

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 23:03:13 +0200

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The guix-download test includes this snippet:
>
> ------
> # Make sure it fails here.
> if guix download http://does.not/exist
> then false; else true; fi
> ------
>
> Unfortunately, many ISPs (such as T-Mobile) return bogus results for
> otherwise unclaimed domain names, causing this test to fail.

Yes, this has been reported several times in the past and marked as
“wontfix”.  :-)

> Does anyone know if there is some domain that is designed to fail as a
> "standard", as <http://example.com> is intended to be used for examples
> of good domains?

There’s an RFC defining example.org et al.  These domain names are
guaranteed to exist, so we’d be testing something different; also, I
don’t know if the RFC defines pages guaranteed to be 404, for instance.

Ludo’.