Subject: bug#27029: closed (Re: bug#27029: 26.0.50; gnus & utf are suddenly broken)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 00:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#27029: 26.0.50; gnus & utf are suddenly broken

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27029: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27029
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#27029: 26.0.50; gnus & utf are suddenly broken
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 20:03:45 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Andy Moreton wrote:

> Agreed. I can confirm that this followup commit fixes the problem:
>
> commit bc78276e81956b3caa8a5eb7ef26959fa4c84b7b
> Author:     Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> AuthorDate: Mon May 22 16:53:18 2017 -0400
> Commit:     Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> CommitDate: Mon May 22 16:53:18 2017 -0400
>
>     * lisp/mail/rfc2047.el (rfc2047-decode-encoded-words): Set `words` to nil.

Subject: 26.0.50; gnus & utf are suddenly broken
From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 17:14:34 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I pulled emacs from git and now gnus cannot show utf8 characters.
In the *Summary* buffer, I see things like "=?utf-8?q?common=3f?=".
When I try to view such an article, I see:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument characterp ("utf-8" 113 "common=3f" "=?utf-8?q?common=3f?="))
  rfc2047-decode-encoded-words((("utf-8" 113 "common=3f" "=?utf-8?q?common=3f?=")))
  mail-decode-encoded-word-region(121 197)
  article-decode-encoded-words()
  run-hooks(gnus-article-decode-hook)
  gnus-request-article-this-buffer(63735 "nntp+news.gwene.org:gwene.com.reddit.r.jokes")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

the only change is git pull and rebuild.
the previous time I rebuilt emacs was 

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-apple-darwin16.6.0, NS appkit-1504.83 Version 10.12.5 (Build 16F73))
 of 2017-05-22 built on Clr-Sam.local
Repository revision: 62046ed3e9b1e95340eb980058b8f7aadae2447a
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1504
Recent messages:

Mark saved where search started
Truncate long lines disabled
Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
Truncate long lines disabled
mail-decode-encoded-word-region: Wrong type argument: characterp, ("utf-8" 113 "Europe\"=3f" "=?utf-8?q?Europe\"=3f?=")
Quit
funcall-interactively: No recursive edit is in progress [7 times]
Truncate long lines disabled
Entering debugger...
Back to top level

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/imagemagick/lib/pkgconfig/
 --without-makeinfo'

Configured features:
JPEG NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: VC dir

Minor modes in effect:
  vc-parent-buffer: *vc-dir*<trunk>
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  cl-old-struct-compat-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/sds/.emacs.d/elpa/scala-mode-20161122.2325/ob-scala hides /Users/sds/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/org/ob-scala

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 nnir emacsbug
sendmail debug gnus-bcklg qp gnus-async gnus-dup mail-extr gnus-ml
hl-line disp-table man tabify spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc nndraft nnmh
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig utf-7 gnus-cache gnus-sum
bbdb-gnus network-stream nsm starttls nntp gnus-group gnus-undo
tramp-cmds gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls
utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win log-edit message
subr-x rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader smerge-mode dabbrev
skeleton eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func cl-indent
pp cl-print log-view pcvs-util misearch multi-isearch noutline outline
tramp-cache add-log remember conf-mode view rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util
nxml-enc xmltok arc-mode archive-mode cursor-sensor mhtml-mode css-mode
smie color eww puny mm-url url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap shr svg xml browse-url js sgml-mode dom dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs d-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs make-mode vc-hg flyspell
ispell company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-cmake
company-xcode company-clang company-eclim company-template company-css
company-nxml company-bbdb cl-extra yasnippet flymake company help-fns
radix-tree help-mode elpy find-file-in-project ivy delsel ivy-overlay
ffap thingatpt pyvenv elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor derived
edmacro kmacro ido grep compile files-x etags xref project cus-edit
python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
pcomplete parse-time format-spec advice json comint ansi-color rcirc
ring vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode map vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
finder-inf info package seq warnings midnight ein-loaddefs gnus nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev
bbdb-loaddefs bbdb easymenu bbdb-site timezone server which-func imenu
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache
url-vars paren help-at-pt desktop frameset cus-start cus-load cl gv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1063555 91570)
 (symbols 48 51869 36)
 (miscs 40 23457 906)
 (strings 32 246544 12089)
 (string-bytes 1 6101843)
 (vectors 16 98839)
 (vector-slots 8 1782849 31048)
 (floats 8 520 1052)
 (intervals 56 53716 327)
 (buffers 976 134))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net http://camera.org
https://ffii.org http://thereligionofpeace.com http://americancensorship.org
If money were measured in piles, I would have had a pit of it.