Subject: parted 3.2 (on KNOPPIX) failure with smashing & segfault

From: David T-G <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 17:14:55 -0400

Hiya!

I've managed to make parted 3.2 on KNOPPIX throw up, and I got the "you've
found a bug" message.  I don't know that I really have, since the drive
has issues, but since this appears to be the most current version I'm
happy to send in this info.

The drive in question had problems before being retired, and I think that
the mobo was a factor even though Dell didn't replace it at the time; I
have since seen definite confirmation that there are case + board flex
problems and so we don't use this laptop any more *sigh*  Meanwhile,
though, I'd really like to recover what data I can.

Below my sig, since I don't know that attachments are good, are my
attempts.  Only for the first run did I get the "stack smashing" warning,
and only on all later attempts do I get the "found a bug" message,
although sometimes with a SEGV_MAPERR error and sometimes just with the
seg fault.  Trying to print with both units gives no output in the same
way.

I may unplug this [USB-adapter-hung] drive and try it on a laptop that I
can repeatedly reboot; I'll follow up in that case.  And I'm not
subscribed to the list and would appreciate being copied on replies so
that I know what I'm supposed to do next :-)

TIA & HAND

:-D
-- 
David T-G
See http://justpickone.org/davidtg/email/
See http://justpickone.org/davidtg/tofu.txt

######################################################################

diskfarm:root:20:~> parted /dev/sdk print
*** stack smashing detected ***: <unknown> terminated
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6[0x4bdcdf23]
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x40)[0x4be47220]
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6[0x4be471da]
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(_fini+0x0)[0x4cae73f4]
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2[0x4cacc797]
======= Memory map: ========
08048000-0805b000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 185082                             /UNIONFS/sbin/parted
0805b000-0805c000 r--p 00012000 00:10 185082                             /UNIONFS/sbin/parted
0805c000-0805e000 rw-p 00013000 00:10 185082                             /UNIONFS/sbin/parted
0805e000-0807f000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0                                  [heap]
4bd3e000-4bd5d000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 27                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ld-2.19.so
4bd5d000-4bd5e000 r--p 0001f000 00:10 27                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ld-2.19.so
4bd5e000-4bd5f000 rw-p 00020000 00:10 27                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ld-2.19.so
4bd61000-4becd000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 32                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc-2.19.so
4becd000-4becf000 r--p 0016c000 00:10 32                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc-2.19.so
4becf000-4bed0000 rw-p 0016e000 00:10 32                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc-2.19.so
4bed0000-4bed3000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0
4bed5000-4bed8000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 38                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl-2.19.so
4bed8000-4bed9000 r--p 00002000 00:10 38                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl-2.19.so
4bed9000-4beda000 rw-p 00003000 00:10 38                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl-2.19.so
4bf23000-4bf3a000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 42                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread-2.19.so
4bf3a000-4bf3b000 r--p 00016000 00:10 42                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread-2.19.so
4bf3b000-4bf3c000 rw-p 00017000 00:10 42                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread-2.19.so
4bf3c000-4bf3e000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0
4bf5b000-4bf62000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 175                                /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt-2.19.so
4bf62000-4bf63000 r--p 00006000 00:10 175                                /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt-2.19.so
4bf63000-4bf64000 rw-p 00007000 00:10 175                                /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt-2.19.so
4c0d2000-4c141000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 34                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3.13.1
4c141000-4c142000 rw-p 0006e000 00:10 34                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3.13.1
4c286000-4c2a2000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 6413                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
4c2a2000-4c2a3000 rw-p 0001b000 00:10 6413                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
4c427000-4c42b000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 5880                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1.3.0
4c42b000-4c42c000 r--p 00003000 00:10 5880                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1.3.0
4c42c000-4c42d000 rw-p 00004000 00:10 5880                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1.3.0
4c5ae000-4c5d4000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 5876                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libblkid.so.1.1.0
4c5d4000-4c5d6000 r--p 00025000 00:10 5876                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libblkid.so.1.1.0
4c5d6000-4c5d7000 rw-p 00027000 00:10 5876                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libblkid.so.1.1.0
4c61a000-4c659000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 6347                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdevmapper.so.1.02.1
4c659000-4c65a000 r--p 0003e000 00:10 6347                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdevmapper.so.1.02.1
4c65a000-4c65d000 rw-p 0003f000 00:10 6347                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdevmapper.so.1.02.1
4c65d000-4c65e000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0
4cab1000-4cb03000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 149250                             /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2.0.1
4cb03000-4cb04000 r--p 00052000 00:10 149250                             /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2.0.1
4cb04000-4cb05000 rw-p 00053000 00:10 149250                             /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2.0.1
4cb05000-4cb09000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0
4d26d000-4d2a5000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 6973                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6.2
4d2a5000-4d2a6000 r--p 00038000 00:10 6973                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6.2
4d2a6000-4d2a9000 rw-p 00039000 00:10 6973                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6.2
4d2a9000-4d2ab000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0
4db4a000-4db67000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 167                                /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5.9
4db67000-4db69000 r--p 0001c000 00:10 167                                /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5.9
4db69000-4db6a000 rw-p 0001e000 00:10 167                                /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5.9
f7740000-f7743000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0
f7743000-f7753000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 6326                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1.5.0
f7753000-f7754000 r--p 0000f000 00:10 6326                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1.5.0
f7754000-f7755000 rw-p 00010000 00:10 6326                               /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1.5.0
f7755000-f777a000 r-xp 00000000 00:10 30                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libselinux.so.1
f777a000-f777b000 r--p 00024000 00:10 30                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libselinux.so.1
f777b000-f777c000 rw-p 00025000 00:10 30                                 /UNIONFS/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libselinux.so.1
f777c000-f777f000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0
f77ac000-f77af000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0
ffc15000-ffc36000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0                                  [stack]
Aborted
diskfarm:root:20:~> parted /dev/sdk
GNU Parted 3.2
Using /dev/sdk
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print

You found a bug in GNU Parted! Here's what you have to do:

Don't panic! The bug has most likely not affected any of your data.
Help us to fix this bug by doing the following:

Check whether the bug has already been fixed by checking
the last version of GNU Parted that you can find at:

        http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/

Please check this version prior to bug reporting.

If this has not been fixed yet or if you don't know how to check,
please visit the GNU Parted website:

        http://www.gnu.org/software/parted

for further information.

Your report should contain the version of this release (3.2)
along with the error message below, the output of

        parted DEVICE unit co print unit s print

and the following history of commands you entered.
Also include any additional information about your setup you
consider important.

Command History:
print

Error: SEGV_MAPERR (Address not mapped to object)
Segmentation fault
diskfarm:root:20:~> parted /dev/sdk unit co print unit s print

You found a bug in GNU Parted! Here's what you have to do:

Don't panic! The bug has most likely not affected any of your data.
Help us to fix this bug by doing the following:

Check whether the bug has already been fixed by checking
the last version of GNU Parted that you can find at:

        http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/

Please check this version prior to bug reporting.

If this has not been fixed yet or if you don't know how to check,
please visit the GNU Parted website:

        http://www.gnu.org/software/parted

for further information.

Your report should contain the version of this release (3.2)
along with the error message below, the output of

        parted DEVICE unit co print unit s print

and the following history of commands you entered.
Also include any additional information about your setup you
consider important.

Command History:
Segmentation fault