Subject: Re: bug#27007: [PATCH 2/2] doc: Adapt to multiple bootloader support.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 12:36:28 +0200

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * doc/guix.texi (GRUB configuration): Rename to "Bootloader
>   configuration".
>   Adapt occurences of "GRUB" in other sections.

Awesome, thanks for reviewing and updating all the doc!

Some minor comments/suggestions:

> -@node GRUB Configuration
> -@subsection GRUB Configuration
> +@node Bootloader Configuration
> +@subsection Bootloader Configuration
>  
> -@cindex GRUB
> +@cindex Bootloader

Lowercase please.

> +The operating system supports multiple bootloaders. The bootloader is
> +configured using @code{bootloader-configuration} declaration. All the
> +fields of this structure are bootloader agnostic except for one field,
> +@code{bootloader} that indicates the bootloader to be configured and
> +installed.

Nitpick: please make sure to leave two spaces after an end-of-sentence
period.

>  @c FIXME: Write documentation once it's stable.
> -Themes are created using the @code{grub-theme} form, which is not
> -documented yet.
> +Fow now only GRUB has theme support. GRUB Themes are created using

s/Themes/themes/

> +It also adds a bootloader menu entry for the new OS configuration,
> +---unless @option{--no-bootloader} is passed.  For GRUB, it moves
> +entries for older configurations to a submenu.

s/to a submenu/to a submenu, allowing you to choose an older system
generation at boot time should you need it/

What happens with other bootloaders?  Do we get older boot entries?  It
might be worth mentioning.

>  @item switch-generation
>  @cindex generations
>  Switch to an existing system generation.  This action atomically
> -switches the system profile to the specified system generation.  It also
> -rearranges the system's existing GRUB menu entries.  It makes the menu
> -entry for the specified system generation the default, and it moves the
> -entries for the other generations to a submenu.  The next time the
> -system boots, it will use the specified system generation.
> +switches the system profile to the specified system generation.  It
> +also rearranges the system's existing bootloader menu entries.  It
> +makes the menu entry for the specified system generation the default,
> +and it moves the entries for the other generations to a submenu.  The
> +next time the system boots, it will use the specified system
> +generation.

What happens to the bootloader itself?  Does it change the bootloader to
the one that was chosen back then?

Thank you!

Ludo’.