Subject: bug#27007: boot-parameters are not documented

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 11:31:12 +0200

Hello,

> So how does the ‘menu-entry’ example that Tomáš gave translate with this
> new API?  (Apologies for asking, I admit I haven’t fully adjusted to the
> new API mentally.  :-))

Well it's still moving :)

We can ask him but I guess something like that :

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(boot-parameters
  (label "openSUSE")
  (root-device #f)
  (boot-name 'grub)
  (store-device #f)
  (store-mount-point "/")
  (kernel "(hd0,msdos1)/vmlinuz")
  (kernel-arguments (list  "root=/dev/penguin/opensuse"  "init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd"))
  (initrd "(hd0,msdos1)/initrd"))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Note that root-device, boot-name, store-device and store-mount-point are
useless here.

> Sounds good in general, as long as we have default values that make
> sense.

Ok.

> Can we assume that all the bootloaders have a notion of “menu” and “menu
> entries”?  Or do you think that very notion is not shared by all of
> them?

We can suppose that it's always possible to add custom entries to
generated bootloader configuration. That would allow someone switching
from grub to extlinux to keep his custom entries.

> Sure; having the implementations in (gnu bootloader xyz) follow the same
> model sounds like a good idea.

Ok !

Thanks,

Mathieu