Subject: Re: bug#27007: boot-parameters are not documented

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 10:13:11 +0200

Heya!

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Since the rework, <menu-entry> are in (gnu bootloader grub). They can no
> longer be used in menu-entries field of <bootloader-configuration>.
>
> The <boot-parameters> is used instead. <boot-parameters> and
> <menu-entry> are very similar though.

So how does the ‘menu-entry’ example that Tomáš gave translate with this
new API?  (Apologies for asking, I admit I haven’t fully adjusted to the
new API mentally.  :-))

> What we can do here is :
>
> * Give <boot-parameters> default values as per <menu-entry> (as proposed
> by Danny in doc patch review).

Sounds good in general, as long as we have default values that make
sense.

> * Rename "menu-entries" field of <bootloader-configuration> to something
> not so GRUB related, such as "entries" or "custom-entries".

Can we assume that all the bootloaders have a notion of “menu” and “menu
entries”?  Or do you think that very notion is not shared by all of
them?

> * Maybe also remove <menu-entry> from (gnu bootloader grub) and use
> <boot-parameters> directly as in (gnu bootloader extlinux).

Sure; having the implementations in (gnu bootloader xyz) follow the same
model sounds like a good idea.

Thank you!

Ludo’.