Subject: bug#26993: 25.2; package.el: docstrings keep pointing to old code after package upgrade

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 20:48:32 +0100

Heikki Lehvaslaiho <[email-masked]> writes:

> There is a long standing problem that keeps docstrings pointing to the
> old location after the package has been upgraded.
>
> See
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/12158/docstrings-are-invalid-after-upgrading-packages
>
> Emacs restart or manual load-library on the new new file do fix the
> problem, but shouldn't loading happen automatically at package
> upgrade?

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

I tried this now with an arbitrary package -- chess from GNU ELPA.  `C-h
f chess RET' after the update worked fine for me, so I'm not able to
reproduce this problem.

Are you still seeing this in recent versions of Emacs?  If so, do you
have a recipe to reproduce the bug?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no