Subject: bug#26991: New quoting takes up unnecessary space

From: L A Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 23:48:01 -0700

The new format uses extra spacing on columns where it isn't needed --
but the extra space isn't enough to handle the 1 file that was quoted
(needs 5 extra columns).  Where does it get '3' (and why doesn't it use
2?)?

Here are 32 files:
>  ls
aaaaaaa   bbbbbbb   ccccccc   ddddddd   eeeeeee   fffffff   ggggggg   
hhhhhhh
aaaaaaa0  bbbbbbb0  ccccccc0  ddddddd0  eeeeeee0  fffffff0  ggggggg0  
hhhhhhh0
aaaaaaa1  bbbbbbb1  ccccccc1  ddddddd1  eeeeeee1  fffffff1  ggggggg1  
hhhhhhh1
aaaaaaa2  bbbbbbb2  ccccccc2  ddddddd2  eeeeeee2  fffffff2  ggggggg2  
hhhhhhh2
#       ^^ -- 2 chars separate

>  mv aaaaaaa \"aaaa\'\"    #same number of characters
>  ls  
'"aaaa'\''"'   bbbbbbb0   ccccccc1   ddddddd2   fffffff    ggggggg0   
hhhhhhh1
 aaaaaaa0      bbbbbbb1   ccccccc2   eeeeeee    fffffff0   ggggggg1   
hhhhhhh2
 aaaaaaa1      bbbbbbb2   ddddddd    eeeeeee0   fffffff1   ggggggg2
 aaaaaaa2      ccccccc    ddddddd0   eeeeeee1   fffffff2   hhhhhhh
 bbbbbbb       ccccccc0   ddddddd1   eeeeeee2   ggggggg    hhhhhhh0
                       ^^^ - now using minimum of 3 spaces between columns