Subject: bug#26990: closed (Re: bug#26990: 25.2; Text refresh delay upon moving text or scrolling)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 14:42:01 +0000

Your bug report

#26990: 25.2; Text refresh delay upon moving text or scrolling

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
26990: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26990
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#26990: 25.2; Text refresh delay upon moving text or scrolling
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Chris Seifried <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 17:41:38 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Chris Seifried <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 10:11:25 -0400
> 
> I think I found a solution, not Emacs related. I changed the default Intel graphics acceleration method from
> SNA to UXA as described in this ArchWiki page: 
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#SNA_issues
> 
> The problem has went away completely. I originally thought this would be Emacs related because this
> behavior happened only in Emacs. Sorry for the trouble!

No sweat.  Thanks for telling us.  I'm therefore closing the bug
report.

Subject: 25.2; Text refresh delay upon moving text or scrolling
From: Chris Seifried <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 23:00:53 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm having a strange issue where upon scrolling or shifting text up or
down with ENTER/BACKSPACE/C-k, lines of text that are supposed to be
shifted will appear to stay there for a second or two. While this
artifacting/delay is happening, any keyboard input seems to "refresh"
the buffer and the text returns to normal. This happens with
'emacs -q' as well but it seems less noticeable than running Emacs
normally. Note that I'm running X.org and Compton. This issue does not
occur with 'emacs-nox'.

System:
- x86-64 Arch-Linux on linux-lts kernel, latest updates
- Lenovo ThinkPad T550, Intel Core i7 vPro, 16 GB RAM
- X.org, Compton, GTK+ 3.22.10

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open any file with text using C-x C-f, or make a new file and type
some text
2. Place cursor somewhere before a line of text, hit ENTER (once or 
repeatedly)
3. OR for a larger file, scroll up or down slightly with the mousewheel

---

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.10)
of 2017-04-22 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe
-fstack-protector-strong' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
text-scale-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
Use +,-,0 for further adjustment [6 times]
Auto-saving...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna dired format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils face-remap time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 90735 7305)
(symbols 48 19831 0)
(miscs 40 99 171)
(strings 32 14598 4436)
(string-bytes 1 415381)
(vectors 16 11823)
(vector-slots 8 432226 8146)
(floats 8 170 415)
(intervals 56 497 62)
(buffers 976 21))