Subject: Re: bug#26988: Add desktop-file-utils to all gtk applications

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 01:05:22 +0200

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> writes:

> these are two patches I propose we add in order to add
> desktop-file-utils to all gtk applications.  This means that the
> profile hook would pick up the desktop files (as soon as possible).

So if I read (guix profiles) correctly, the hook only runs when
'desktop-file-utils' is referenced. Would checking for a gtk reference
as well not achieve the same effect? Or is that too expensive?

> One patch moves desktop-file-utils from (gnu packages gnome) to (gnu
> packages freedesktop).  I suggest we apply this patch to all branches
> - since they don't change anything in the build.

Adding it to 'master' would be sufficient, no? It will be merged to
'staging' and 'core-updates' in due time.

I don't see a good reason to move it though, but no strong opinion. Make
sure all dependent packages still finds it!

> The other patch adds desktop-file-utils as propagated-input to gtk+-2
> (and by inheritance to gtk+ 3, too).  That would imply entail all gtk
> applications.  Therefore, it should only go to core-updates.

Not just all gtk applications, but also anything depending on those. Can
you add a comment about why we propagate 'desktop-file-utils' from gtk?