Subject: bug#26952: 25.1; loops eating all memory while yanking big rectangle

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 20:20:12 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 09:19:50 -0700
> 
> We can publish 26.1 earlier if we don't run it through our leisurely six 
> month test period.

There's no leisure in our pretests.  We need to wait until the bug
reports come in after each pretest tarball, that's all.  It takes time
for the reports to come in because Emacs is a very large package that
supports many different use patterns.

> It would not be tested as well as 25.1 was, but the same would be
> true for any 25.3 release, as its changes are not likely to be
> trivial to develop. We could warn users that 26.1 is more
> experimental than 25.1 was

We never released unstable Emacs, and I'm not sure we should start.

> so that users not seriously affected by Bug#26952 (i.e., most users)
> could stick with Emacs 25 if they want to be conservative.

IMO, there's nothing in this bug that allows us to assume it is rare.