Subject: bug#26952: 25.1; loops eating all memory while yanking big rectangle

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 09:48:47 -0700

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> We all want to accelerate the release schedule, but I don't think we know
> how. That's why I don't believe we could have Emacs 26.1 out earlier than in
> six months' time, basically what we had with every other .1 release. The
> question is: can we afford leaving users with this nasty bug for several
> months, telling them to wait. I thought we oughtn't.

> But if I'm the only one who is bothered by this, so be it.

I can certainly sympathize.

FWIW, I too have noticed Emacs 25.2 being quite unstable. For the longest
time, Emacs 24 would run for months without crashing even once. Now it crashes
pretty regularly 2-4 times a day. I wonder now if I'm hitting a memory ceiling
that is triggering the behavior we're describing...

I'm OK with backporting, btw, and would be happy to test if it fixes my issues
too.

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2