Subject: bug#26952: 25.1; loops eating all memory while yanking big rectangle

From: Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 18:41:20 +0200

Paul Eggert:
>I think 26.1 is a better way to go here, even if we have to wait six 
>months for it. Users have already been living with this bug since 25.1's 
>release eight months ago, and they can wait a few months more.
>
>We can publish 26.1 earlier if we don't run it through our leisurely six 
>month test period. It would not be tested as well as 25.1 was, but the 
>same would be true for any 25.3 release, as its changes are not likely 
>to be trivial to develop. We could warn users that 26.1 is more 
>experimental than 25.1 was, so that users not seriously affected by 
>Bug#26952 (i.e., most users) could stick with Emacs 25 if they want to 
>be conservative.

It's sad.  Until Emacs 22, I could tell my colleagues that Emacs would
never ever crash in practical situations.  I upgraded my old Emacs 22
only recently, because of rmail changes, and I find it much less stable
than I was used to :(

Sorry that I am not able to help.