Subject: bug#26952: 25.1; loops eating all memory while yanking big rectangle

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 21:15:32 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 09:19:50 -0700
>> 
>> We can publish 26.1 earlier if we don't run it through our leisurely six 
>> month test period.
>
> There's no leisure in our pretests.  We need to wait until the bug
> reports come in after each pretest tarball, that's all.  It takes time
> for the reports to come in because Emacs is a very large package that
> supports many different use patterns.

Idle speculation:

If a ~ six month testing process doesn't show up the fairly fundamental
memory issues that cropped up in both 25.1 and 25.2 soon after release,
then perhaps it isn't time well spent. Perhaps people would be better
served by more frequent, smaller releases. I have the feeling (not
backed up by any data) that pretest use is declining, with people just
using master or releases. Perhaps switching things around so that
releases come from master (and development happens on a branch) would
help, but maybe not.