Subject: Re: bug#26952: 25.1; loops eating all memory while yanking big rectangle

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 08:24:48 -0700

On 05/25/2017 11:25 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I think d6585a910
> on master shows the change in configure.ac which did that.  Bug#22086
> holds the relevant discussions.

I was worried that that was the change you wanted (and was hoping it 
would be a different one :-).

We can't merely install that change. We also need at least some of the 
commits that fixed significant problems associated with that change, 
such as 09ece4d, 3d82a8e, a4817d8, a39a03a, dd951c0, 2ee2963, 7fdc3cf, 
a4817d8, e4cd4a7, e1a9f20, 874c59a, 384ffef, dec1390, a39a03a, cb22fce. 
Not all of them are strictly necessary, but it'd be better to install 
the whole batch than start a new development project in this area.

The above list of changes was reasonably easy to generate. The hard part 
will be identifying any followup changes that are also necessary but are 
not immediately obvious. So it's quite possible that if we take this 
approach we will need to publish Emacs 25.3, wait for allocation-related 
bug reports to roll in, and then publish Emacs 25.4 and so forth.