Subject: bug#26949: Python path conflict

From: Pjotr Prins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 10:36:08 +0200

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 09:54:07PM +0200, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
> > I remember the python.1 path is a symlink not pointing anywhere. We
> > dealt with that a year ago. Maybe it now confuses the man db builder.
> > Does it somehow use the (existing) profile?
> 
> Yes, it could be that it happens with a particular combination of
> packages in the profile.
> 
> Could you try to see if you could reproduce the problem in a fresh
> profile starting from what the offending profile has and gradually
> reducing the package set?

I can reproduce the problem, but I can not reproduce the environment.
I tried.

All I can see is that when the profile gets updated the new path

  $profile/share/man/man1/python.1

is a symlink pointing to nothing. You can see that when installing
python-2.7.13.

All I can tell is that the version that was installed (2.7.11).
actually pointed to something. When overwriting the old version,
strangely, the man pages generator balks.

Strangely because installing in a fresh profile gives no complaints.

The old package path was

  /gnu/store/vcx1n5nj4gr52xx5m6gvi7zrwngy06s3-python-2.7.11/share/man/man1/python.1

Pj.

--