Subject: Re: 23.0.91; C-p does not move point beyond the selective-display ellipses

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:04:25 -0400

> (let ((buffer (generate-new-buffer "*test*")))
>   (pop-to-buffer buffer)
>   (setq visual-line-mode nil
>   selective-display t
>   truncate-lines t)
>   (insert "A\n"
>     (make-string (/ (window-width) 2) ?B) "\r"
>       (make-string (/ (window-width) 2) ?C) "\n")
>   (end-of-line 0))
>
> Your cursor will be placed at the end of line 2 (after "...").  Then
> even if you type C-p (previous-line) several times, the cursor stays at
> the same position.

I've checked in a fix.

This fix consists of reverting a change to the vertical-motion code made
in 2005.  I don't know the rationale for that change---the comments say
it's for dealing with selective-display, but it gives rise to the bug
you reported, and reverting it does not seem to cause any problems.
However, my tests are not conclusive, so if you could do some further
testing to make sure I did not reintroduce any problems, I'd appreciate
it.  Thanks.