Subject: bug#2693: grep-find with camelCase returns error of 123

From: xah lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:41:15 -0700

From: Xah Lee <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: grep-find with camelCase returns error of 123
--text follows this line--

this is possibly a bug.

Summary: when using M-x grep-find, on a search word with camelCase, i  
get this error:
“Grep exited abnormally with code 123 at Mon Mar 16 17:22:46”.

Reproduce steps:

• start emacs 22.x with -q
• M-x grep-find
• Try to search a word with camelCase. e.g. “find . -name "*txt" - 
print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -nH -e pestiLence”
• Emacs gives the error mentioned above.

This is reproducible in:

• GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, Carbon Version  
1.6.0) of 2008-04-05 on g5.tokyo.stp.isas.jaxa.jp
• GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, GTK+ Version  
2.6.10) of 2009-03-01 on xahg5.local

This problem happens also when called with shell-command. e.g. M-x  
shell-command, then use
“find . -name "*txt" -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -nH -e pestiLence”.

However, this does not happen when called in shell, e.g. M-x shell.  
Nor when i simply run it in a Terminal running bash. (so, prob not  
having to do with the unix's “find”, “grep”, “xargs”  
programs on my computer.)

   Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄