Subject: bug#26911: 25.2; eshell "cd .." doesn't work correctly with TRAMP

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 18:09:21 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

> OK, thanks.  This worked.  The results (see below) are mixed, but the
> problems seem mostly to have something to do with the remote system,
> not with Emacs.

That's often the case; otherwise I would trap the failed tests locally.

> What can I do about the failed tests?

Well, there is the macro tramp--test-instrument-test-case. Usually, any
test which needs more analysis shall be wrapped by this macro, plus the
verbosity. Like

(tramp--test-instrument-test-case 6
... test code ...
)

The test code is usually the whole code of a ert-deftest body, except
the initial skip-unless forms. It will generate debug messages, which
could be analyzed. Unfortunately, it is often only me who can read the
result.

The verbosity is the value set for tramp-verbose. Often, it is
sufficient to set it to 6 (debug sent commands, and the responses). In
problematic cases it can be up to 10; the debug messages will be huge then.

An undocumented feature is a verbosity greater 10 (say 11). This
triggers also traces for all function calls of tramp-* functions via
trace.el. Usually, I ask for this only when I'm desperated ...

Best regards, Michael.