Subject: bug#26911: 25.2; eshell "cd .." doesn't work correctly with TRAMP

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 15:53:09 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> However, I haven't run it on MS Windows.
>
> I did, but most of the tests are skipped.  Can you teach me how to
> enable them on MS-Windows?  I can use PuTTY to connect to a remote
> GNU/Linux machine where I have an account, if that is necessary.

Well, first check whether you can connect the remote host in
question. Try it interactively:

C-x C-f /plink:user@host:/tmp

("user" and "host" at your taste). The connection shall not require a
password. Alternatively, if you have created a PuTTy session with name
"session", you could use instead "/plinkx:session:/tmp".

Then, according to my MS Windows blurb, run in a CMD window:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> set REMOTE_TEMPORARY_FILE_DIRECTORY=/plink:user@host:/tmp
> %HOMEPATH%\Desktop\emacs-28.0.50\bin\emacs.exe -Q -batch -L X:\src\tramp\lisp -l X:\src\tramp\test\tramp-tests.el -f ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I have absolutely no build environment, just a downloaded Emacs tarfile
including binaries. Therefore, Tramp itself is mounted as share on the
X: drive.

In the test results, you will first see a line with the used remote
directory. tramp-test00-availability tells you whether the connection
can be established. It shall look like

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Remote directory: `/plink:user@host:/tmp'
   passed   1/70  tramp-test00-availability (0.053776 sec)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

If this doesn't happen, or the first test returns with PASSED (capital
letters), something fails. Pls show me the output then.

Best regards, Michael.