Subject: 26.0.50; Error using lisp-indent-line in eval-expression minibuffer

From: John Mastro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 16:34:29 -0700

Using lisp-indent-line in an eval-expression minibuffer (i.e. M-:) works
in Emacs 25 but causes a "Text is read-only" error in Emacs 26.

To reproduce:
1. Run emacs -Q
2. Evaluate the code below
3. Type M-:
4. Hit TAB

Here's the code:

    (defun init-eval-expression-minibuffer ()
      (setq-local indent-line-function #'lisp-indent-line)
      (local-set-key (kbd "TAB") #'indent-for-tab-command))

    (add-hook 'eval-expression-minibuffer-setup-hook
              #'init-eval-expression-minibuffer)

Point will move to the very beginning of the minibuffer (on the "E" in
"Eval") and you'll see a "Text is read only" message. (I called it an
error above but it doesn't actually invoke the debugger even with
debug-on-error and debug-on-signal non-nil).

It doesn't matter whether you have entered text or not before hitting
TAB.

Thanks,

John

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
scroll bars)
 of 2017-04-26 built on meta
Repository revision: 8f2062d96b0319fc2a837ba9e2c6b67abf31c920
System Description:     Fedora release 25 (Twenty Five)

Recent messages:
Loading /home/jbm/.emacs.d/defuns.el (source)...done
Loading /home/jbm/.emacs.d/local.el (source)...done
Loading /home/jbm/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
Loading /home/jbm/.emacs.d/var/recentf...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
Loading /home/jbm/.emacs.d/var/company-statistics-cache.el (source)...done
Starting new Ispell process /usr/bin/aspell with default dictionary...

Configured using:
 'configure --with-xml2 --with-zlib --with-gnutls --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --without-pop --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  flycheck-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  company-statistics-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  smartparens-global-strict-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  auto-compile-on-load-mode: t
  auto-compile-on-save-mode: t
  auto-compile-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort company-ispell mail-extr emacsbug sendmail term/xterm xterm
flycheck find-func bug-reference flyspell ispell company-files
company-keywords company-etags etags xref project company-gtags
company-template company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-capf
dired+ image-dired image-mode image-file dired-x find-dired dired-aux
projectile grep compile ibuffer-vc ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
ibuf-macs git-commit with-editor cl-extra async-bytecomp async tramp-sh
tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete
parse-time magit-utils crm log-edit message puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util add-log cl-indent hippie-exp comint ansi-color
company-statistics company smex ido-vertical-mode flx-ido ido-ubiquitous
cus-edit cus-start cus-load ido-completing-read+ ido ace-link avy
smartparens help-mode paredit undo-tree diff winner ring which-key
help-at-pt solarized-moar-theme solarized-theme solarized-definitions
mb-depth recentf tree-widget wid-edit whitespace savehist saveplace
autorevert filenotify time-date paren hl-line server cursor-sensor xclip
edmacro kmacro cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ivy flx delsel ivy-overlay ffap
thingatpt subr-x pcase auto-compile packed use-package diminish bind-key
easy-mmode finder-inf gh-common gh-profile rx s marshal eieio-compat ht
json map dash advice cl slime-autoloads info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 634597 116951)
 (symbols 48 42964 3)
 (miscs 40 77 204)
 (strings 32 97335 116596)
 (string-bytes 1 3181935)
 (vectors 16 86537)
 (vector-slots 8 1896258 303457)
 (floats 8 145 535)
 (intervals 56 372 148)
 (buffers 976 11))