Subject: Re: bug#26890: [PATCH] gnu: Add agrep.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 23:36:35 +0200

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 05:04:08PM -0400, Kei Kebreau wrote:
>> Quote from copying.agrep in the source directory:
>>   4. Redistribution for profit requires the express, written permission
>>      of the authors.
>
> Unfortunately, this clause makes agrep not free software. Indeed, Debian
> distributes it from their non-free repos:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/agrep

This is confusing.  Debian has version 4.17-9 but I don’t even know
where they got it from.  The home page that’s linked there only has 2.x
tarballs.

And this clashes with the declaration of the ICS version in the git
repo.

Weird!  I really don’t mind dropping this patch (I just packaged it
while demonstrating Guix), but it’s sad that the license situation here
is so contradictory.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net