Subject: bug#2686: tramp-file-name-handler

From: Tom Hughes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:35:47 +0000

In emacs 22.3 any attempt to tab complete a local filename in a buffer 
which is visiting a remote file using tramp results in a "Not a tramp 
file name" error.

In other words if I just do C-x C-f to load a file, and starting a local 
filename without first killing the minibuffer contents, then I get that 
error if I hit tab to do completion.

The reason for this is the addition of a call to substitute-in-file-name 
at the top of tramp-file-name-handler. This was intended to expand 
environment variables but has the side effect of removing the tramp 
filename from the start of the buffer leaving just a local filename.

When that value is then passed to with-parsed-tramp-file-name it raises 
the error when it tries to dissect the name.

I guess the solution is to check the foreign flag before making the call 
to with-parsed-tramp-file-name and if it is not set to just pass the 
operation on?

Tom

-- 
Tom Hughes ([email-masked])
http://www.compton.nu/