Subject: bug#2685 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: Emergency (alloc): Warning: past 85% of memory limit)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 18:50:05 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#2685: Emergency (alloc): Warning: past 85% of memory limit

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
2685: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2685
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: Emergency (alloc): Warning: past 85% of memory limit
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: Laurent GUERBY <[email-masked]>
Cc: John Sullivan <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 14:46:56 -0400

> The problem is that Emacs is not determining the start of the data
> segment properly on MIPS machines.  In src/m/mips.h, we define
> DATA_START as 0x10000000

On further research, I think this is wrong for GNU/Linux.  It was
probably written for other operating systems in mind.  Undefining
DATA_START on GNU/Linux is pretty harmless; as I said, this causes Emacs
to fall back on another heuristic method for determining the start of
the data segment.  (Anyway, this change only affects this particular
platform).  So, I've checked in the change.

Subject: Emergency (alloc): Warning: past 85% of memory limit
From: Laurent GUERBY <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:13:55 +0100

Hi,

I compiled using GCC 4.3.2 from debian lenny (abi=32):

GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of
2009-03-15 on gcc51   

When launching emacs (in text mode) I get a *Warnings* window
with the following message:

Emergency (alloc): Warning: past 85% of memory limit

The machine gcc51 has 1GB of RAM so this warning seems surprising.

Sincerely,

Laurent