Subject: Re: bug#26835: 26.0.50; url-retrieve no longer raises certificate errors

From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 12:44:52 -0700

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 11:42:45 -0700
>>
> I seem to be unable to reproduce any of the wrong behavior in the
> current master build.  Could you please provide more details about
> what errors you see and what failures you expected, but didn't see?
>
> In my testing, Emacs asks me whether to continue connecting, when it
> discovers a bad certificate, and it's up to me to decide.  Did it ask
> you, and if it did, what alternative did you select?
>
> Also, did you try all this in "emacs -Q"?  It looks like you did this
> in a customized session (e.g., because in "emacs -Q" there's no 'loop'
> function, which the above snippet uses).  So the problems could have
> something to do with your customizations.

It repros in `emacs -Q', just set:

(setq gnutls-verify-error t)
(url-retrieve-synchronously "https://wrong.host.badssl.com/")

In Emacs 25.2, this causes an error to be thrown when you use
url-retrieve, in 26, it silently proceeds.

Also, I can confirm that if gnutls-verify-error is nil, it prompts as
you described. I'll leave it as that for now in my config.