Subject: Re: bug#26832: bug on grep 3.0

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 13:09:08 -0500

On 05/08/2017 06:46 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> This bug has the feel of Bug#25707, which was fixed as described in:
> 
> http://bugs.gnu.org/25707

In fact, that bug was filed upstream _because_ of cygwin's coordinated
move to have grep, sed, and awk no longer mangle binary files.

> 
> Can you try a grep with that fix? Here's one way to build and test grep
> with the fix, assuming you have sufficient developer tools installed:

In fact, the pre-built grep shipping in cygwin DOES have that fix
already installed.  The bug is therefore not in grep, but in usage
expectations of an environment feeding \r\n to grep without accounting
for the \r no longer being silently ignored.

-- 
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org