Subject: bug#26824: 24.5; Bytecode overflow error when byte compiling large .el file

From: Christian Wittern <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 11:08:24 +0900

On 05/16/2017 09:24 AM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Christian Wittern <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Yes, that is right.  This file is a bit of a crazy thing, if there is
>> a better way to achieve this, I would be glad to know.
> Use a data structure.
>
> In the simplest case (when lookup time is not critical), just use a
> linear structure, an alist: For each VOL, define an alist with elements
> (pagelimit . filename) with `defconst'.  To implement
> `mandoku-cbeta-vol-page-to-file', find the first entry whose car is not
> smaller than the given page in a loop.  Return the cdr of the found
> cons.
Well, yes.  But I expect the timing then to be slower (although I did 
not really test this), because I would have to go sequentially through 
the alist, so I went with this inelegant method, which at least 
responses fast, even without bytecompiling.

Christian