Subject: bug#26820: closed (Re: bug#26820: 26.0.50; DNS mode and IPv6 reverse zones)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 00:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#26820: 26.0.50; DNS mode and IPv6 reverse zones

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
26820: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26820
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#26820: 26.0.50; DNS mode and IPv6 reverse zones
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 20:36:04 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 26.1

Thanks; tweaked and applied as 8f6550b.

Subject: 26.0.50; DNS mode and IPv6 reverse zones
From: [email-masked] (Peder O. Klingenberg)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 May 2017 20:51:03 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Last week I was trying to set up reverse delegations for some newly
assigned IPv6 address space.  It was... painful.

IPv6 addresses are ugly enough in their normal format, but when used in
a reverse zone, they need to be converted to individual nibbles
separated by dots, reversed, and have .ip6.arpa. appended.  The result
is less than human friendly.

So I've written a new feature for dns-mode.el that allows me to mostly
relate to the normal IPv6 format, and convert automatically to the
nibble format.  I can for instance do this in a (part of a) zone file,
where I'm only interested in defining hosts in the last 16 bits of the
address:

$ORIGIN 2a0a:3dc0:10::/112
::1/-112 IN PTR www.example.com.

And then, by pressing C-c C-e on each of the IPv6 addresses, end up with
the necessary

$ORIGIN 0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.0.0.0.c.d.3.a.0.a.2.ip6.arpa. 
1.0.0.0 IN PTR www.example.com.

Assuming I'm doing this as I type, I can then yank the last
standard-format address, do a minimal edit, C-c C-e again, and continue
typing to define the next PTR record.

I'm hoping this sounds useful to other people as well.  I'll pass along
the patch as soon as I get a bug# to attach to it. :)