Subject: bug#26815: [PATCH v4 3/3] vm: Add UEFI loader to disk images.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 11:36:56 +0200

Hi Marius,

> I plan to make a generic "grub-standalone" variant. Will try to fit it
> into the new bootloader API. The regular grub-efi variant won't cut it
> because it can't update EFI variables on the target system, so we need
> the "self-contained" grub snapshot generated by grub-mkstandalone(1).
>
> Also, the normal configuration file doesn't work with it, but a minimal
> config that loads the real one at boot is okay. Not sure why!

Ok, but don't we need to do it on system reconfigure too ?

>
>> For example the (when esp ...) snippet in initialize-hard-disk or the
>> install-efi procedure.
>
> Here, I plan on implementing an #:efi-loader keyword that is passed a
> gexp for the generated EFI firmware image, instead of the current
> approach that passes #:grub-efi and builds it outside the store.

Great !

>
> On a related topic: The "device" field for grub-efi is a noop;
> `grub-install` looks for "/boot/efi" only (or "--efi-directory").
> Currently the example uses the ESP for "device", but it should not have
> to be set. Not sure what to do about it, ideas?

The "device" field of <bootloader> defaults to #f so maybe you can skip
it ?

Mathieu