Subject: bug#26815: [PATCH v4 3/3] vm: Add UEFI loader to disk images.

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 20:06:56 +0200

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Marius,
>
>> Thanks again for the excellent feedback. I did an installation by
>> "naively" following the manual and noticed that it does not mention
>> mounting other partitions before `guix system init`. So, I added it.
>>
>> Pushed at last!
>
> Thanks for this serie !
>
> As a follow-up, when things will calm down, you might consider moving
> some stuff in a grub-efi <bootloader> structure.

I plan to make a generic "grub-standalone" variant. Will try to fit it
into the new bootloader API. The regular grub-efi variant won't cut it
because it can't update EFI variables on the target system, so we need
the "self-contained" grub snapshot generated by grub-mkstandalone(1).

Also, the normal configuration file doesn't work with it, but a minimal
config that loads the real one at boot is okay. Not sure why!

> For example the (when esp ...) snippet in initialize-hard-disk or the
> install-efi procedure.

Here, I plan on implementing an #:efi-loader keyword that is passed a
gexp for the generated EFI firmware image, instead of the current
approach that passes #:grub-efi and builds it outside the store.

On a related topic: The "device" field for grub-efi is a noop;
`grub-install` looks for "/boot/efi" only (or "--efi-directory").
Currently the example uses the ESP for "device", but it should not have
to be set. Not sure what to do about it, ideas?