Subject: bug#26806: Invalid byte sequence in tr command

From: Assaf Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 21:14:22 -0600

severity 26806 wishlist
retitle 26806 multibyte: tr: Invalid byte sequence in tr command
stop

(triaging old bugs)

On 2017-05-06 9:07 a.m., maximiliam steffens wrote:
> Trying to convert subtitles with characters (accented) possibly changed by
> the opensubtitles.
> 
> Converting only the lowercase letters is ok
> 
> $cat legenda1.srt | tr 'AЯЖЗсржьзнЩКу' 'AÀÊÔãáéíóôúÇç' > teste.srt
> 
> With the capital letters of invalid code page
> $cat legenda1.srt | tr '├┴┬╔' 'ÃÁÂÉ' > teste2.srt

It seems your message was lost and not answered to in a year.
Sorry about that.

Regarding 'tr': multibyte/utf-8 support is currently lacking,
but is being worked on.

I'll keep this bug open until it is resolved.

-assaf