Subject: Re: bug#26803: [PATCH 33/36] gnu: Add java-commons-httpclient.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 21:50:23 +0200

Roel Janssen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus writes:
>
>> * gnu/packages/java.scm (java-commons-httpclient): New variable.
>> ---

[…]

> I guess we need it for some dependency.  Is it possible to use the
> java-httpcomponents-httpclient for these?

Unfortunately, java-httpcomponents-httpclient has a completely different
API, so it cannot be used as a drop-in replacement.

> If we really need this package, then the recipe looks good to me, but I
> think it'be better to not need an already deprecated version of
> something that does networking stuff.

I agree.  My current patch sets do not include packages that need it, so
I’ll drop it.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net