Subject: bug#26797: closed (Re: bug#26797: qemu looks for smbd at /usr/sbin)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 19:23:03 +0000

Your bug report

#26797: qemu looks for smbd at /usr/sbin

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
26797: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26797
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#26797: qemu looks for smbd at /usr/sbin
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 21:22:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Qemu comes with support for sharing files with a guest via Samba.  This
> is done by appending something like this to the qemu-system-*
> invocation:
>
>     … -net user,smb=$HOME/Downloads -net nic
>
> Qemu needs to be told *at configure time* where the smbd executable will
> be at runtime.  By default this is /usr/sbin/smbd.  Users can work
> around this problem by installing the “samba” package and creating a
> link from /usr/sbin/smbd to the actual executable.

This was fixed by Rutger back in
84276503059d46c0a42240f8770f59090614d863 and
0e5d0f66b56221b7de49ab28b607633e413c9110.

Subject: qemu looks for smbd at /usr/sbin
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 12:26:18 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Qemu comes with support for sharing files with a guest via Samba.  This
is done by appending something like this to the qemu-system-*
invocation:

    … -net user,smb=$HOME/Downloads -net nic

Qemu needs to be told *at configure time* where the smbd executable will
be at runtime.  By default this is /usr/sbin/smbd.  Users can work
around this problem by installing the “samba” package and creating a
link from /usr/sbin/smbd to the actual executable.

It would be better to fix this, but this would require adding samba as a
dependency to Qemu, so that the location can be set at configure time.
Alternatively, we could patch Qemu to look for smbd depending on an
environment variable.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net