Subject: Re: bug#26796: 26.0.50; (2 characters) is usually wrong

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 00:39:06 -0400

unarchive 354
tags 354 = wontfix
quit

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>>> Was there any reason to implement it in the first place?
>>
>> Seems we are back at the discussion we had starting here:
>>
>>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-04/msg00219.html
>
> In which, if I read right, literally no-one was in favour of the feature?
> A feature that several people have now spent time debugging, tweaking,
> and documenting, and which will have to be supported going forwards.

My only defence is that everyone seemed to think it was a good idea
*before* I merged it.  In hindsight I should have reverted this much
sooner, but anyway, it's done now [1: daaec72a82].

[1: daaec72a82]: 2017-05-08 23:28:32 -0400
  Revert "Output number of characters added to file (Bug#354)"
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=daaec72a82e76f916e639acb51a8ad602433e8a9