Subject: bug#26792: Acknowledgement (Fix output of --help in package fish)

From: ng0 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2017 11:03:53 +0000

ng0 transcribed 1.0K bytes:
> I just created a new user which uses fish as the login shell and
> I need to update this patch. There is more to be embeded for fish.

This is similar to the "mc" situation.

In a plain fish profile with no bash whatsoever, your default $PATH is:

echo $PATH
/usr /usr/bin

the major issue when logging in is:

1. grep is not found.
2. hostname is not found.

The question to think about is, how do we provide access to the basic
applications (grep, awk, hostname, etc) fish needs? Substituting a minimal
set of files where necessary seems like the best working solution for a
system which does not assume any other shell and therefore does initially
export no $PATH other than /usr and /usr/bin.

The very least I want people to experience is no error immediately after
first login. This happens at the moment.
-- 
https://pragmatique.xyz
PGP: https://people.pragmatique.xyz/ng0/