Subject: bug#26786: [PATCH] gnu: emacs-org: Update to 20170502.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 15:47:01 +0200

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> skribis:

>>> I think we should build directly from org's release tarball at
>>> http://orgmode.org/org-9.0.6.tar.gz instead of using the ELPA
>>> tarball. It somehow feels like we are not building from source but
>>> rather relying on a prepackaged tarball from ELPA. However, Nicolas
>>> Goaziou, the org mode maintainer,
>>> disagrees. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-08/msg01395.html
>>
>> I find Nicolas’s argument above (that building from ELPA makes the
>> recipe trivial) pretty convincing.
>>
>> Why would you suggest using the tarball from orgmode.org?
>
> It seems like we are depending on an intermediary (ELPA) instead of
> directly building from the original source. I feel that Guix packages
> should not depend on other repositories (like ELPA).

I agree with this sentiment, but my understanding is that ELPA is not
really an “intermediary”: package maintainers upload directly there, and
some upload only there.  So I think it’s OK.  Thoughts?

Ludo’.