Subject: Re: bug#2677: 23.0.91; need ability to run emacs --daemon in the foreground

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 14:48:08 +1100

Jameson Rollins <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is a feature request more than a bug: I would really like to see
> the ability to run the emacs server daemon ("emacs --daemon") in the
> foreground.  This would be very useful.  I would like to be able to
> start/control this daemon with a service supervisor (i.e. runit [0]).
> This would allow me to easily start the daemon on system start up, and
> have access to the daemon from all xsessions and virtual terminals.
>
> I would also be prefer to be able to specify daemon parameters as
> well, such as the location of the socket file.

--daemon is a switch for running Emacs in the background.  If you don't
want Emacs running in the background, you don't have to do anything in
particular.

And setting the server socket location can be done easily from an .el
file or with --eval.  So I don't really think there's anything that
needs to be done here.  Please reopen the bug report if you disagree.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no